Friday 4 March 2011

"This aint no 'coon hunt."

Yesterday I journeyed to the cinema to watch 'True Grit' and 'Four Lions' and good times were had by all(me).

So, True Grit. It's impressive on all accounts. A good script which is masterfully executed by a great cast. Jeff Bridges is on top form as the foul mannered Reuben "Rooster" Cogburn. Personally, I feel that this film makes up for the incredibly disappointing 'Tron: Legacy' in which Jeff was not necessarily bad himself but certainly not good enough to save it(which he can hardly be blamed for).
       Hailee Steinfeld makes a pretty great debut. She could have very easily been an annoying, whiny little bitch but manages to take on the role with the grace and presence of a seasoned actress.
       As, for Jeff, this film makes up for Tron, it seems that for Matt Damon this film could be making up for a couple of his recent ventures. I never managed to see 'Hereafter' but if the trailer is anything to go by then it wouldn't be all that great. I just don't buy Matt Damon as a psychic. A genuine psychic. It just seems daft. I will, however hold any major judgement until I've actually seen the film as the trailer seems to be a little confused and doesn't really seem to get across the actual plot of the film. Anyway, 'The Adjustment Bureau' also looks pretty fucking stupid but I'll give it a go, perhaps tonight. To get back to my original point, Damon seems to have taken on some pretty strange rolls in these two films. Roles that I can't entirely picture him pulling off while in True Grit he manages to take on an interesting role and nail it. Particular stand out moments were his back-&-forths with Cogburn and the childish upset that he was caused when put down.
        It's probably just me being retarded but the first time I saw this film I failed to notice Barry Pepper. He had a pretty big role and his make-up, though great, shouldn't really have been enough for me to not realise it was him. But anyway, he makes another quality addition to the "supporting-role" section of his CV and is certainly worth mentioning. One other thing is a certain relation between his characters in 'True Grit' and in 'Saving Private Ryan'. Probably nothing intentional and I won't ruin it by saying what I'm on about here but I thought it worth mentioning.

I'm going to go ahead and give 'True Grit' a 4/5 and recommend that everyone see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment